This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Max Speed error

Every once in a while I'll get a top speed from my downloaded data that is incredibly high. For example: I spent five hours on mountain trails Friday at an average speed of about 6 miles an hour. Max speed reported was 82 mph! :eek:Should have been somewhere around 28 mph. Same thing for yesterday. Max speed reported at over 60 mph. It's kind of pissing me off!:confused:

Smarko
  • This is a common problem and there are quite a few posts with this question. A speed spike commonly happens from point-to-point inaccuracies in your GPS position. When speed is calculated from consecutive points, this will sometimes result in a speed spike. The graphs in Garmin Connect will filter it out. If this is important to you, you may consider getting a GSC-10 sensor, although those can sometimes be hard to fit to some FS mountain bikes.
  • GSC sensor

I do have and use a speed and cadence sensor.
  • With a speed (and cadence) sensor, I think you have two ways to record speed - by GPS, or by the sensor. I seem to recall that you can use the sensor to record cadence, but use the GPS to record speed. If that's not true, I hope someone will correct me!

In any case, if you're using the GPS to record speed, ludicrous speed spikes are likely caused by location anomalies, as mentioned by DW152.

If you're using the speed sensor to record speed, the problem might be vibration, especially on a mountain bike. In the worst-case scenario, if the magnet is in the middle of the spoke, and the spoke is loose, and you go over a bump just as the magnet passes the sensor, the spoke might vibrate, causing the magnet to activate the sensor several times in a fraction of a second. The computer will interpret this as many revolutions in a very short time, resulting in a very high speed reading.

If this is the case, the distance recorded will also be inaccurate, but not as obviously as the speed.

A loose sensor mount can also cause this, but it's more likely to be the magnet mount.
  • Erratic Pace

Normally on the routes I run, my pace is very steady with only gradual fluctuations, which I believe are fairly accurate. However, once in a while (maybe once every 5 or 6 runs), I will run the same route and I see pretty substantial variation in pace without any apparent reason.

See the following link, which is what I normally see:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/164824050

See the following link - exactly same route and as far as I know exact same set-up but with quite different results:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/164824034

I believe the avg pace numbers are correct in the second link, but the second by second results probably are not correct.

Any ideas anyone?
  • Max Speed error

On my last ride the max sped on the Edge 305 says 47.3 km/h but when I upload it to Garmin Connect the max speed is 4,862.8 km/h.

Using the web uploader, Mac OS X and Safari if that makes any difference.

Any ideas? Also, is there a way to change the data on Garmin Connect?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    On my last ride the max sped on the Edge 305 says 47.3 km/h but when I upload it to Garmin Connect the max speed is 4,862.8 km/h.

Using the web uploader, Mac OS X and Safari if that makes any difference.

Any ideas? Also, is there a way to change the data on Garmin Connect?

You can upload your file to http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ Convert this file to csv and edit this file with a normal text editor. Delete or correct the incorrect records and convert it back to .fit file.
  • Max speed error

My 705 has worked perfectly for the past year but when my last 2 rides have been down loaded to garmin connect the maximum speed is 2000mph +. This appears only in the max speed section, the speed graph is correct and the mapping is correct and the average speed seems about right. Is there a simple solution to stop this happening?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    Same issue

Having exactly the same problem - some how I've had a max speed of over 2,000kph on my last three rides - please help Garmin...
  • You can upload your file to http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ Convert this file to csv and edit this file with a normal text editor. Delete or correct the incorrect records and convert it back to .fit file.

The Edge 305 does NOT output .fit files. Rather you could import to GTC or GC and export it as a .tcx. tcx files can be edited by any xml editor (or test editor if need be).
  • i have also the same problem , but only on my "garmin connect"
    The edge has the normal max speed 50 km-u en the trainingcenter shows 5000 km-u